Kidaro has just announced an enterprise-level disaster recovery solution for virtual desktops.
With the Kidaro Desktop DR solution, enterprises can maximize business continuity by distributing corporate-controlled virtual desktops on DVDs, USB drives, or over the Web. Kidaro's virtual desktop platform enables secure employee access to corporate resources and data from their home PCs or recovery center computers. Because the solution runs locally on existing desktop and laptop computers, without expensive server farms, Kidaro Desktop DR provides a cost-effective and secure method for recovery.
With Kidaro Desktop DR, enterprises can:
- Implement a cost-effective disaster recovery plan for desktop continuity
- Get employees back to work quickly and securely, on any computer including home PCs
- Simply distribute software or USB drives, without deploying expensive server farms
I am a little bit skeptical about the desktop-based approach to DR. Coming from a rather typical enterprise environment, I am only comfortable with the whole DR solution organized within a secure and highly available datacenter environment, but desktop virtualization has already changed many things and set new expectations, so perhaps such an approach is worth a try.
Some of the advantages of Kidaro's approach to virtual desktops DR:
- Rapid disaster recovery – from any location
- No server farms required – minimal investment in recovery sites
- All operations are encrypted to prevent data-leakage